Friday 8 February 2013

Enslaved - 'RIITIIR' Album Review


I’ll be honest. I’ve never really listened to Enslaved before today. I’ve always been aware of the hype that surrounds them from the more mature black metal fans (by mature I mean those who aren’t completely ignorant, racist, socially worthless, backwards, right-wing, elitist pigs who listen to nothing but Burzum and claim all other metal is shit) whenever a tour or a new album is announced, but it’s always sort of passed me by. It wasn’t until earlier this week, when browsing the Play.com sales, I saw their latest album, RIITIIR, and suddenly began think I might be missing out on something.  RIITIIR was waiting for me when I got home today along with Winterson’s Time I (which I’ll try and do a review of if I get the time at the weekend.) The hour-and-a-bit confirmed to me my worst fears: I indeed had been missing out.
 
 
                RIITIIR really is something quite different. Naïvely, I expected something along the lines of Gorgoroth, Satyricon maybe, something more traditional, with simpler black metal progressive elements, but with a more developed and refined sprinkling. Instead Enslaved provide this incredible journey that takes the vicious, brutal black metal from twenty years ago and essentially beats it to pulp with up with massive Mastodon-like riffage and radicalness but keeps it all under close control with progressive power perhaps equitable to giants such as Opeth. Enslaved really have made something quite brilliant.
The best way I can think of describing RIITIIR is as grown-up black metal. Although it still calls back to its violent and aggressive early 90s roots in songs such as ‘Roots Of The Mountain’ and ‘Materal’, the album encompasses a much wider, more touching and engrossing feel. Enslaved’s RIITIIR is wonderfully diverse: one moment the listener is surrounded by epic blast-beats and huge, brutal riffs, and the next moment everything has seamlessly and perfectly mellowed, allowing room and blissful adaption for a sullen clean section where acoustic guitars play out incredible melodies and beautiful, slow ideas before taking off gracefully into a hard-and-fast section with even more intertwining, persisting riffs and big drum lines, but accompanied by an incredible clean vocal line.
                What’s more, there are some really great guitar leads on this album. Never at any point though do Enslaved seem to use a solo for the sake of using a solo like so many bands do; the notes simply drift in and out, up and down with the rest of the song with such skill and finesse that you hardly even notice. It just feels so right.
                The album moves like water, faultlessly adapting and easily moving from one section to another. Tempos, sections and rhythms rise and fall in sophisticated and intelligent waves as the album takes the listener on its journey through everything black metal is, was, and could be. RIITIIR perfectly blends elements of traditional black metal and Enslaved’s own advanced, progressive genius as if the two were always meant to be together, synthesizing black metal’s fury with their musical majesty to create a truly epic album.

            Overall – 9/10

Best Song: Veilburner – 9.5/10
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment