Tuesday 5 February 2013

First!!1!


Good day, humans.
 
Rob here; right. Introductions. Hm.

Let’s just get the awkward truth out in the open: I’ve never really blogged before.  I wrote a few entries on behalf of my band on our MySpace page about three years ago, no-one cared, MySpace died, I stopped. Despite this, I’ve become more and more interested in writing over the last few years. I’ve had a lifelong passion for writing; when I was really little, I even used to write “books”, which were no more than a couple of words on each page, followed by a massive picture, but it was a start. As time has gone on, I’d like to think my ability has improved along with my credibility as a writer. At the moment I’m writing my first full-length story (currently at around 95,000 words and no half-page scribbles of crayon and pencil).
                But more relevant to this blog, I’ve become increasingly interested in heavier music. I’ve always been a bit alternative to the norm as far as my music taste goes. When I was eight years old and the rest of my primary school class was listening to Eminem and Usher, I was listening to (yes, I know it’s not metal) Green Day, proudly wearing what was one of my first pieces of band merch: a Green Day t-shirt.
                But things began to change when I was around ten years old. I more-or-less went through my fifth year at primary school listening to Green Day, giggling every time Billie-Joe swore and glancing nervously around, hoping my parents hadn’t heard the “when masturbation’s lost its fun” line in ‘Longview’. I can remember , it was a Wednesday night in midwinter. My best mate, Hamish Jackson (guitarist in my band now) and I were on our way to one of our bi-weekly swimming classes.
                Hamish produced from under one of the seats on his parents’ battered old Volvo a battered and cracked CD case. It was missing the insert, but clearly written on the bare CD was “The Best Air Guitar Album In The World…Ever!”
                ‘Mum, play the song!’ He said.
                After an indecisive exchange with his mother,  she eventually found the song he was after, and what a song it was! Metallica’s ‘For Whom The Bell Tolls’ tore through the car as Hamish and I began instinctively air-shredding. It was only a few weeks before I had badgered my parents into buying me every existing Metallica album.
                The obsession hasn’t stopped since. Now I own albums that cover most of the metal genres: thrash metal, death metal, melodic-death metal, black metal, blackened-death metal, technical metal, power metal, folk metal, doom metal, the list goes on. I’ve a love for heavy metal and have happily spent many an hour strumming away at my own various guitars for the past eight years, playing along with anything from Iron Maiden to Mayhem.
                What am I planning on doing with this blog? Well, at the moment I intend to use it basically for reviews. Though any important metal gossip (and it will have to be important, I can’t stand celebrities) that may come about will be presented here, and I’ll try to offer my own opinion on whatever may be current in the metal world.

Keep safe, be well.

Rob
 
Have some Insomnium, for the road. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZmK2ZWBxQc

No comments:

Post a Comment